Moving 100's of Homes Every Week, Nationwide Coverage

Moving House: A Guide to Council Tax Information

Posted in: Moving Advice

Moving in or out of a property doesn’t have to be stressful. However, there are certain actors you need to address before the physical removals process begins. Below, we have outlined what you will have to do and who you will need to inform when you’re moving into your new property, or out of your old property.

When do you Start Paying Council Tax?

The day of your move is when your council tax begins. If you’re moving within the same local authority, then you can continue using your previous direct debit payment method and expect to pay the same amount.

Council Tax Moving in

Moving into a new property is, for the most part, an exciting experience. However, organisation is key to ensuring your moving day goes according to plan.

When you’re moving out, it’s important to inform your local council of your move as soon as possible. The quicker this is done, the quicker your council will be able to send you a bill and any payments that need to be made. There are also a few bits of information you’ll need to supply so that council can track and approve your move.

These include:

  • The name and address of your new address
  • Your old address
  • Your moving date
  • Contact details (including telephone number and/or email address)
  • If the property you’re moving to is owned or rented
  • The date of completion
  • Number of adults (over 18) living in the new property
  • Whether the property is furnished or unfurnished
  • The start dates of your tenancy
  • The name and address of the landlord or agent

In most cases, your local council will supply property occupation forms for you to complete. These will cover all of the above bullet points. For more information, contact your local council. If you don’t know your local council, Gov’s ‘Find Your Local Council’ webpage will point you in the right direction.

Council Tax Moving Out

Fortunately, there isn’t too much difference in the information you’ll have to provide your council with when moving out of your apartment. You will still need to let your local council know you’re moving out as soon as possible so they can make the necessary adjustments to your bill. Even if you’re moving to another location within the area (for example, moving from Camden, London to Peckham, London), you will still need to inform your local council.

Your council will require the following information when you move out:

  • Your full name and present address
  • Your moving date
  • Your new address
  • Contact details – telephone and email address
  • Whether the property is furnished or unfurnished
  • Your tenancy end date
  • The name and address of the landlord or agent handling the process
  • The names of any and all tenants still living in the property after you move out

Again, similar to moving into a new property, your local council should provide property occupation forms that will ask all the relevant information listed above.

How Do I Cancel my Council Tax When Moving House?

You must inform your local council as soon as you intend to move, usually a month before your move. There will be a ‘change of address’ page on your local council’s website. All you need to do is complete this form an include the forwarding contact information for everyone else in the property who’s required to pay council tax.

Informing your Council on Other Changes

If there are any obvious or important changes that you believe could affect your Council Tax, it’s important you inform your local council, otherwise you may face heavy fines and penalties. Additionally, mentioning these changes could affect any discounts or exemptions you’re entitled to.

The changes that you need to mention are:

  • A child turning 18 (if you live with a child)
  • Name changes (if you get married or divorced)
  • Someone becoming, or no longer being a student

When a person is no longer entitled to be ‘disregarded’. For example, when a person is disregarded, the head tenant (or person paying the council tax) may be entitled to a discount. A person may lose their ‘disregarded’ status if they:

  • Return from prison
  • No longer require care
  • Returned home from care (and no longer require it)

It’s important to contact your local council to let them know about such changes. They will usually supply a form that details all of this on their website.

Council Tax Discount/Exemptions

In most cases, if two or more adults 18 and over are living together, it’s unlikely they will be able to claim Council Tax discounts. However, there are some mitigating circumstances where discount may be applied. Two main examples for Council Tax discount are:

  • If one of the adults living in the property (two living in the property only), is a student, the head tenant (the non-student) will be entitled to a 25% discount.
  • If both adults are students, a full exemption will be awarded (no Council Tax paid)
  • Additionally, students and trainees do not have to pay Council Tax if they’re:
  • Taking a further or higher education course situated in a member state
  • Courses that are at least 24 weeks of the calendar year (anything below may be classified as part-time, this can be discussed with your local council)

Proof of study will be required to apply for Council Tax exemption, such as a certificate or document from the college or university.

Other exemptions:

  • Student nurses – these students do not have to pay any Council Tax.
  • Apprentices – they must be paid no more than £195 a week before tax in order to be exempt from Council Tax billing.
  • Trainees under 25 – if they’re taking a course under the Employment & Training Act 1973, they will be exempt from paying Council Tax.
  • Mental impairment – there are several mitigating circumstances for those suffering with mental impairment. For more information on exemptions for mental impairment, click here.

if you require any further help with moving house, specifically within the removals sector, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our removals team. we have over 25 years’ experience in the moving industry and have moved some very high-profile clients in the past. For more information, visit our contact page or call us on 020 3613 0938.